Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Death by German Chocolate Brownie-Cookie


Have you noticed? I have started "branching out"...showing my diversity and versatility in the kitchen! And you thought I was a one-dimensional baker...HA! In the past week, I have not only posted one cupcake recipe; but today, for your gastronomic pleasure, I'm posting a LAYERED BROWNIE-COOKIE recipe!

Settle down. I know this is overwhelming. *breathe*
I'll give you a moment to compose yourself.

Ready? To continue driving the coconut-fest,
lets go one step beyond indulgence to extreme hedonism. There is no creation known to the sucrose-laden culinary world which is more exquisite than German Chocolate cake. One of my all-time favorite desserts. To give insight into what a sugar ho' I have always been...when I was a child, I would dig the cake from between the layers of German Chocolate cake and only eat the ooey-gooey-coconut-pecan-frosting goodness. The purpose of the cake, in my humble opinion, merely serves as an adjunct for the frosting; consequently, it stands to reason that the cake is superfluous, and fair game for creative modification. In other words, lose the cake, and replace it with something even more decadent. Cookie? Brownie? BOTH!! How about a layer of scrumptious German Chocolate chunk cookie, a layer of succulent coconut and toasty pecans, a layer of delectable brownie, topped off with a layer of luscious German Chocolate frosting. Can it get any more sinful? I'll work on it.

Because I have nothing better to do with my time, I prepare everything for this concoction from scratch. If you have a life, feel free to use your favorite brownie mix (I recommend Ghirardelli™.) If you're really crunched for time, use a container of prepared German Chocolate frosting. (The frosting takes no time to stir together, however, and it really is better than the canned stuff.)

I must admit, I can only eat this wicked brownie-cookie in small portions. That is significant, because I exist in a self-imposed, sugar-induced buzz. Sugar and caffeine propel me through the day. If I can only eat one of these, you know they are very, very rich. Death by German chocolate...what a way to go!



Death by German Chocolate Brownie-Cookie:

Ingredients:

German Chocolate Chunk cookie:

2 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 lb butter, at room temperature
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C granulated sugar
1 pkg. (3.4 oz) Jello™ vanilla instant pudding
2 ( large) eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
8 (1 oz) squares Baker's German Chocolate baking squares, coarsely chopped


Layer #2:
1-1 1/2 C flaked coconut
1 C toasted pecans, coarsely chopped


Brownie:

1 1/2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 C butter
1 1/4 C sugar
2 eggs
3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted, cooled
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 C milk
1 C milk chocolate chips (optional)


German Chocolate frosting:

1 C sugar
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 C toasted pecans, chopped
1 C coconut


Directions:

Layer #1: Cookie
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray the bottom only of a 9x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Sift together first 4 ingredients into a large bowl. Set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add instant pudding, mixing well. Add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing until well blended. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Slowly add flour, mixing well. Stir in milk chocolate chips.

Spread in prepared pan.

Layer #2: Sprinkle coconut and pecans over cookie layer.

Layer #3: Brownie
Combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate, mixing well. Alternately add flour, baking powder, and milk, mixing after each addition. Stir in the chocolate chips (optional.) Carefully spread over coconut-pecan layer.


Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. Cool completely in pan.

Layer #4: Frosting
Combine first 5 ingredients in a heavy sauce pan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened (about 10 minutes) Stir in pecans and coconut. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Spread over top of cooled brownie-cookie. Cut into 2" squares.


Yield: 24 brownie-cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.