Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Chocolate and Salted Caramel Sauces

This is a deviation from the cookie recipes, but I wanted to post the recipes for some amazing sauces which I made over the summer.
These are the result of "tweak-age" and experimentation with several different chocolate sauce recipes to create the perfect consistency. I wanted to create a chocolate sauce which did not turn into a block of fudge in the refrigerator. Eureka! These sauces maintain a smooth, spoon-able consistency, even when completely cold. I played around with different flavors with great results...get creative with your own flavor preferences!

These are great with ice cream, pound cake, or straight from the jar.

I also found a fantastic salted caramel sauce recipe (online Washington Post) which is so easy and tastes amazing. It is rich and dark...nothing like the sweet, sticky goo available in squeeze bottles in the grocery store. I like to drizzle some over chocolate chip cookies. Epic.


Chocolate Sauce: (with variations)

Ingredients:

3/4 C water
1 1/2 C granulated sugar
3/4 C cocoa (I use Hershey's Cocoa, Special Dark)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 stick butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)

Directions:

In a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil. Whisk in cocoa, vanilla extract, salt and corn syrup until all ingredients have dissolved. Reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer at a gentle boil until slightly thickened (7-10 minutes.) Remove from heat and add butter and sweetened condensed milk, stirring until well blended.
When cooled, pour into 8 oz jars or airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator.

Yield: 5 cups

Variations:
I separate the sauce into jars, leaving enough room to add and stir the flavorings.
Measurements are for one cup of sauce:
*Add 1-2 Tbsp any flavored extract you like...orange, amaretto, caramel, mint, etc.
*Add 2-3 Tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 Tbsp boiling water for mocha sauce.
*Add 2-3 Tbsp peanut butter for peanut butter-fudge sauce.
*Add 2 Tbsp seedless raspberry jam for raspberry-fudge sauce.


Salted Caramel Sauce:
Ingredients:

1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/2 C dark brown sugar
1/2 C heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
1-2 tsp vanilla extract (I use caramel flavoring*)

Directions:

Melt butter over medium heat in a medium size, heavy saucepan. Add sugar, stirring until
blended. Whisk in the heavy cream and salt. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 5-6 minutes, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla or caramel extract.
Allow to cool, and pour into a jar or airtight container. Store in the refrigerator.

Yield: 3/4 C

2 comments:

Shandy said...

Stunning! I love both sauces. The salted caramel sauce looks amazing drizzled on the cookie! I just found you on GR (group recipes). Your cookie recipes are WoW! I will have to start baking from your list. Do you mind when I bake one of your cookie recipes, if I can post your links to your blog and add the recipe to my blog. Your name will be all over the recipe. I would like my blogging friends to see your site.

Shawn said...

Thanks so much for the kind comment! Absolutely...PLEASE bake any recipe and link the recipes anywhere you'd like. I'm humbled and honored.
Thanks again!
Shawn

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.